Skip to main content

THANK YOU MARCUS!



2019! Already? Yes, the New Year is now two days old as I am writing. 

This is the year I turn sixty-five. I will retire in August and the plan is to sell the house and move to Florida.

So, facing lots of major life changes. 

The fact is I am moving even further away from my kids, my family, and friends in Canada. This saddens me a great deal. (Of course, since our destination is to be Florida, they have all assured me they will be visiting us. I hope so.)

There is now more sand in the bottom of the hour glass than at the top and reflecting on my life causes me some consternation. 

It is so because I am coming face to face with my own mediocrity. 

I had hoped my passions of music, martial arts and writing would have brought more acclaim, more financial reward despite the fact I engaged in them from love and without the thought of financial recompense.

My life’s mistakes haunt me, as do the consequences born from poor decisions. 

Oh, I know, no one ever consciously makes a bad decision. We all make our choices based on information at hand, always believing we are choosing wisely. We are all heroes of our own narrative.

Yes, I know, one cannot appreciate the sweet without tasting the sour. 

Nevertheless, despite the fact that I never expected to reach the ranks in martial arts that I earned, that I am by far a better player than I was in the band as a sixteen year old, and despite the fact I am working on my ninth book, I feel inadequate.

Never mind the fact I have engaged in a second career, something I thought impossible when I was twenty-eight.

Regardless of the fact that my first career as a correctional officer lasted nineteen years and my second career as a train operator has lasted twenty-three years or that I have made it in a new country, with new friends and as a result of re-marrying I have been accepted into a new family, I feel my life has been unremarkable.

It may be that I am a harsh taskmaster when it comes to assessing my own life.

I don’t think I am the only person who thinks like this. I wonder how many more “working stiffs” think this about their own lives.

“When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.” 

Marcus Aurelius is fast becoming one of my favourite philosophers. I know I should be happier than how I feel simply from the sheer joy of waking each morning.

And yet, while not disappointed that I am waking with faculties intact, I nevertheless feel the crushingly oppressive thought that I have not lived up to my own potential. 

With that thought process operating in my head, I feel guilty that I have not done more with my life.

“Be content with what you are, and wish not change; nor dread your last day, nor long for it.”

Emperor Aurelius is probably correct in that I should be satisfied that I tried my best under the circumstances and given my abilities of thought and physicality. I should be content.

“Everything that happens, happens as it should, and if you observe carefully you will find this to be so.” 

If I acted differently, chose differently based on the circumstances, then I would in fact not be the person I am; I would not be “me.” Therefore, things could not be otherwise. Change had to occur because I am who I am.

“My true self is free, it cannot be contained.” This seems axiomatic. I will be that which I will be.

“We live only now. Everything else is either passed or is unknown.” This bit of wisdom is what I need to do right now. This needs to be my modus operandi moving forward.

Perhaps I ought to lighten up and be more grateful for the things I have, the people in my life who love me and whom I love dearly in return.

I should be content that I have acknowledged my shortcomings and have made amends where I can.

What is passed is past and what is to come has not yet manifested; today is after all, yesterday’s tomorrow.

My life has been full. I set goals and met them. The results were not perhaps the way I thought they should be but that is not in my control.

In the end, I love all my family, all my friends and am overjoyed I have family and friends in so many places. 

I am even more appreciative that they accept me as I am despite my shortcomings.

I can dare not ask for more than that for I am happy.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nirvana

I can no more cease to write than you can stop breathing. It is my salvation. Writing is my path to Nirvana, where suffering has been extinguished, and complete peace is realized, if you believe that sort of thing. I'm not sure that I do, but it's a nice sentiment. For me, since I must work at doing something that fails to excite me in any meaningful way, I must search for my own meaning. Writing is the vehicle I use now. It used to be that my path lay with studying martial arts, but life changes, the body wearies. I suspect many of us, no, most of us, are in the same boat. We are trying to manage our lives the best we can while searching for Nirvana, our own private paradise, or however we might  describe it. Viktor Frankl wrote Man's Search for Meaning. He posits that our meaning is what we choose it to be and that meaning may change day to day. He said, "“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.” Following your passion ...

Authentic Living

How hard do you suppose it might be for someone to suddenly adopt an existential life style of living authentically? The idea of freely choosing one’s own purpose, deciding what is meaningful, living one’s life on one’s own terms with no thought of what others may think nor any thought given as to how this choice of living will affect them, must surely be a costly venture. Can it be done without tearing apart relationships? Should that really even be a consideration? To be what many would consider a non-conformist, to have autonomy over one’s own life, is to transcend socialization, to resist the allure and not be seduced by what is essentially the easy ways of a conformist. But at what cost? Should it give one pause to consider, before embarking on a life of free choices, to live by your own standards, to do what you will, when you will it, and how you will it to be done, what the consequences will be on those we love? Aren’t such people, who choose to live so freely, reviled r...

Examine Your Life

What makes you tick? Who are you and what do you stand for? What do you stand against? Most of us absorb our values from our parents, community, and culture. We grow up with much the same set of principals as our parents. If our parents are Christian then most likely we are Christian. The same can be said if our parents our Muslim or Jewish. It may even be that if our parents our liberal or conservative we will follow suit. Not all of us, however, fall into line. Some of us are rebellious. We question the premise these values we inherited were based upon. And if we don’t get the right answers, if the arguments for holding on to these values are weak, then we may discard them and adopt principles more reflective of our own morality. But we cannot do any of this unless we examine our lives. We need to discover what we are all about, what we will accept, and what we will abhor. We need to look inward to discover ourselves. For as Socrates said, the unexamined life is not wort...