Skip to main content

BEING A CERTAIN AGE

When you reach a certain age, the activities of your youth, the folly of being young, the derring-do attitude of days gone-by that resulted in all manner of bumps, bruises and broken limbs, tend to haunt you. This is especially so upon waking.

The last few weeks have taken a particularly tasking toll on me. The damp weather, the up and down temperatures; one day its winter, the next, a forty degree rise in temperature, and then two days later it’s fifteen degrees cooler and rainy. The intense political climate and the churned up existential angst accompanying it, is partly responsible as well, I am sure.

Back issues, shoulder surgery, knee surgery, all my joints that ever experienced acute articulation from decades studying martial arts, make it impossible for me to spring out of bed and get stuck into the days activities. It has, I must admit, been sometime since I have sprung into anything, at anytime of day or night.

Oh, there are medications. That too comes with being a certain age, (which, by the way, and comparatively speaking, is not that old). A pill for blood pressure, a pill for cholesterol, a pill so I don’t wake up five times during the night to piss, and so on. Pain medications are not my favorite. They give me bad headaches and nausea. Also, I am still a workingman, and the nature of my employment requires drug testing and prohibits me from working if I take certain medications prescribed by my doctor.

Meandering trains of thought are another aspect of being a certain age, but I am coming to my point.

Last night, I had a dream. I dreamt that there was a marijuana strain that elevated one’s mood and reduced pain without being detectable as a cannabinoid. In my dream, my wife offered me this, though now that I am awake, I cannot be sure it was her or if I was remembering my youth. In any case, I vaped it. And immediately, I was in a better mood and free from pain! The beauty of it all was that it would go undetected in any drug screen, and this I was very happy about for I c
ould remain employed.

This dream kept me sleeping all night long. I slept in, as a matter of fact. When I woke up, I didn’t spring out of bed, but I didn’t have near the symptoms I had been complaining about for the last few weeks. I took the dog for a long walk, got ready for work, made my lunch, read a bit and only now, as I am about to leave for work, is the mild euphoria of my dream fading…

I am home from work now and I can attest to the fact that the effects of the dream wore off many hours ago. Two bourbons, a bite to eat, the news, and it's off to bed where I do hope someone will offer me the undetectable, euphoric, and pain reducing herb once more....



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ON THE CUSP OF A RADICAL PARADIGM SHIFT

It has been a long time since I last wrote in this blog. I have been busy with music projects and writing novels. In fact, I am writing my ninth novel right now and am just taking a break. I wanted to get back into keeping up with my blog but didn't want  it to become a format for political rants. Let's be frank, the political landscape is abysmal and folks have never been so divided and so entrenched in their views. I am no exception! Rather than regurgitate the dogma and doctrine of one party over the other, I am guided by the tenets I have long adhered to: democracy, equality under the law, opportunity, justice and a strong social safety net. I welcome diversity in all forms. I believe we should all be accountable and responsible for our actions. Worker's rights, women's rights, these are important to me as basic human rights. Income inequality is a huge issue. Of course, captains of industry deserve the right to have the largest piece of the pie. T

POSTURE

It is acceptable in martial arts to adopt any particular kamae, or “posture,” as an expression of one’s self in an artistic or stylistic manner provided it is a sound stratagem in and of itself or that the individual is so adept at the posture it makes her effective in a self-defence scenario.  In many cases, a particular kamae or posture signals the style of martial art the person has studied. The straight up posture, fists clenched, arms out and slightly bent, legs in a wide stance could indicate a karate practitioner. Arms up, away from the body, palms toward the opponent, might mean a Muay Thai fighter. The various forms of Kung Fu, indicating the Tiger, the Dragon or the Praying Mantis are distinguished by their exotic postures, and so on. How we present ourselves in daily life and in a non-martial context gives people hints about ourselves. Whatever way we present ourselves can be considered our kamae, our posture.  This begs the questions, just how does the world perc

AESTHETIC DISTANCE

I love films. I have always loved films. In high school during the very early seventies, I was able to take a film arts course along with English courses, media and communications. I loved it. Film is art. The famous MGM logo with the lion’s roar that prefaces so many famous movies incorporates the Latin, “ARS GRATIA ARTIS” which means “art for art’s sake,” and was designed in 1916 by Howard Dietz. The saying is credited to the 19th century French philosopher, Victor Cousin and was written as “l’art pour l’art.” One of the basic lessons I learned in film arts was the concept of aesthetic distance.  This concept originally applied to literature refers to the gap between the readers, or as in the case of film, the viewer’s conscious reality and the fictional reality constructed by an author of a book or the director of the film.  Of course, in film there are so many more variables to be considered, actor’s craft, lighting, cinematography, music et cetera.