Skip to main content

LEARNING TO ARGUE

Confirmation bias is what we do when we search for information that supports our position.

We have all been guilty of this type of thinking from time to time. And what makes it even harder is the abundance of bad information, especially on the Internet which is where, let's face it, we do most of our arguing. In this venue, in today's charged political climate, it is a full time job fact checking other people’s claims. It has come to the point where we actually have to fact check the fact checkers.

Scientists look for evidence that will prove their hypothesis wrong. This is one reason why science, with all its flaws, remains the best modality available for learning stuff.

But I am not a scientist, I barely made it out of high school and I dropped out of college.

I am a middle class, blue-collar worker, average in every respect. In my defense, I have read a lot. And not just crackpot books with weird political agendas. I’ve read books, by Shermer, Sagan, and Asimov, to name a few, that are meant to teach one how to think critically.

Granted, even at sixty-two, I am a work in progress, but at least I have recognized within me the fallacy of confirmation bias. And along with that is the need to be right at all costs. That is something I am guilty of for I always wish to be right. I want to be the smart one, to blow the opposition out of the water with my cool intellect, leave them in wonderment and smarting from my deft turn of a phrase and stinging wit.

In order to rid myself of the confirmation bias and its pedantic sidekick, I began posting contradictory information about a specific subject. I did this on my Facebook account. I stated a position, but then posted sites in opposition to my stated position. I was playing devil's advocate with myself and inviting others to join in.

My thinking was to share what I had uncovered and see if anyone else came up with new or better information that would either confirm the position I had adopted or debunk it. I thought the more people doing research, the more diversified the arguments and the Socratic approach would soon uncover the truth.

Of course, I ran into another fallacy, the either/or logical fallacy. I found that the problem is more nuanced than I thought. Oddly, I found this to be the case in almost everything I was reading and on a variety of subjects. The world, it seems, is not as neat and ordered or as simple as I had thought.

It didn't work. Maybe Facebook is not the right venue. People just got pissed off or totally missed the point I was trying to make. There was very little insight gained and the post fizzled.

In any case, I am learning to look up evidence that is oppositional to my position. When in dialogue with someone, I refrain (well, I try to refrain) from ad hominem attacks and sarcastic, insulting language. And most importantly, I ready myself to be proved wrong and to accept such a conclusion with grace and humility.

What I learned by adopting this way of thinking is that I get more from the dialogue than when I just argued my point with tried and true rhetoric and facts that supported my position. I have learned to be  open to divergent points of view and to listen more effectively to opposing argument.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ON THE CUSP OF A RADICAL PARADIGM SHIFT

It has been a long time since I last wrote in this blog. I have been busy with music projects and writing novels. In fact, I am writing my ninth novel right now and am just taking a break. I wanted to get back into keeping up with my blog but didn't want  it to become a format for political rants. Let's be frank, the political landscape is abysmal and folks have never been so divided and so entrenched in their views. I am no exception! Rather than regurgitate the dogma and doctrine of one party over the other, I am guided by the tenets I have long adhered to: democracy, equality under the law, opportunity, justice and a strong social safety net. I welcome diversity in all forms. I believe we should all be accountable and responsible for our actions. Worker's rights, women's rights, these are important to me as basic human rights. Income inequality is a huge issue. Of course, captains of industry deserve the right to have the largest piece of the pie. T

POSTURE

It is acceptable in martial arts to adopt any particular kamae, or “posture,” as an expression of one’s self in an artistic or stylistic manner provided it is a sound stratagem in and of itself or that the individual is so adept at the posture it makes her effective in a self-defence scenario.  In many cases, a particular kamae or posture signals the style of martial art the person has studied. The straight up posture, fists clenched, arms out and slightly bent, legs in a wide stance could indicate a karate practitioner. Arms up, away from the body, palms toward the opponent, might mean a Muay Thai fighter. The various forms of Kung Fu, indicating the Tiger, the Dragon or the Praying Mantis are distinguished by their exotic postures, and so on. How we present ourselves in daily life and in a non-martial context gives people hints about ourselves. Whatever way we present ourselves can be considered our kamae, our posture.  This begs the questions, just how does the world perc

AESTHETIC DISTANCE

I love films. I have always loved films. In high school during the very early seventies, I was able to take a film arts course along with English courses, media and communications. I loved it. Film is art. The famous MGM logo with the lion’s roar that prefaces so many famous movies incorporates the Latin, “ARS GRATIA ARTIS” which means “art for art’s sake,” and was designed in 1916 by Howard Dietz. The saying is credited to the 19th century French philosopher, Victor Cousin and was written as “l’art pour l’art.” One of the basic lessons I learned in film arts was the concept of aesthetic distance.  This concept originally applied to literature refers to the gap between the readers, or as in the case of film, the viewer’s conscious reality and the fictional reality constructed by an author of a book or the director of the film.  Of course, in film there are so many more variables to be considered, actor’s craft, lighting, cinematography, music et cetera.